I love seeing what designers and developers use to do their job - so I thought I'd create my own /uses page.
These are the tools I like to use, it's ones I use when I can, but as a contractor I am used to adapting and using what ever tools the client needs me to use. So don't feel that just because I like a MacBook doesn't mean I can't use Windows. 😊
Editor + Terminal
- Sublime Text 3 is my editor of choice using the Material Seti theme and colour scheme with whole bunch of add-ons and custom settings.
- I'm using iTerm 2 for my terminal - previously when using Ubuntu, I just used the default terminal. I tried Hyper but I didn't get on with it.
- I use Fish shell with the Oh My Fish framework as my default shell on iTerm
- For design I use Sketch and Affinity Photo - Adobe Photoshop is far too expensive and I never used more than 10% of its features.
- I still have to use FTP for some clients, FileZilla has been my FTP client of choice for a long time.
- My main browser is Firefox - it has great developer tools, especially for CSS grid and has improved a lot over the years. I have Chromium, Safari and Brave for testing.
- For notes and writing, I use Simplenote. It's cross-platform, which means all my notes are available on my phone, on the internet and my laptop.
- OBS for screencasts and recording training material for clients
- I currently use a 2018 15" MacBook Pro with 32gb of ram and maxed out processor 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
- My keyboard is a Vinpok Taptek mechanical keyboard which I backed on IndieGoGo but is now available for everyone
- My mouse is an MX Master 1 - its the most expensive mouse I have ever bought, but has been worth every penny
- My monitor is a 21" Samsung monitor - this is the next thing I will be replacing
- For sitting I use an Autonomous Ergo Chair 2
- My desk is an Ikea Trotten sit / stand desk - I wish I had paid more and gone for the electronic version instead of the manual crank
- OnePlus 5T android phone
- Blue Ice microphone
- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam
- Old Logitech 5.1 speakers
- Generic mic stand (clamps to desk)
- Perinexx large desk matt
- Generic desk lamp
For testing responsive websites I build, I use the following mobiles and tablets:
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 5s
- LG Nexus 4
- LG G3
- Google Pixel 3
- Kindle Fire 10
- iPad Mini
Not forgetting notepads, pens and pencils! I have probably forgotten many things, but I will update this if I have.
Make sure to check out uses.tech for a list of everyone's /uses pages!