Don't you hate when you go from having no work to then having way too much work and it starts pilling up on you? That was November for me.
In November I continued working on my current freelance project - the property listings website I am re-designing. Most of the design work is finished - the only thing I have left to design is the Filter Results interface - my first idea didn't work. But I decided to pause the design and move onto coding the homepage template as the client is keen to start working on the backend.
I also started doing design research for my next freelance project for a tyre and wheel company based in Surrey. I've just been researching design inspiration and interface ideas.
Normally I have enough money saved up to pay off the corporation tax at the end my accounting year - but due to covid and having no work since April, I had to use the tax reserve to pay my salary. So I did quite a scary thing - I applied for a business bounce back loan to help pay off corporation tax. 😬
The loan is interest-free for the first 12 months - this is a government-funded scheme - so I will aim to get it paid within that year to avoid any interest.
Just towards the end of the month, I started a new contract as an Interaction Designer at Defra working on an internal project alongside IBM. It's been a lot of catching up on the project so far. I'll be working with an IBM developer to design components that aren't in the GOV UK Prototype kit or Design System for use on internal Defra websites.
This contract is inside IR35 - as it seems like most GOV contracts are now - and this meant I've had to become employed by an umbrella company.
That meant leaving my limited company for the duration of this contract - this just made tax easier - I could have stayed employed by both companies but I may have ended up on an emergency tax code.
The whole experience of an inside IR35 contract so far has been rubbish - would not recommend.
- That's my JAMstack - James Quick on ejecting from Wordpress, Gatsby, Netlify and more
- Build Your SaaS – bootstrap in 2020 - Your revenue forecast is wrong
- The Kingcast - The Running Man with Kumail Nanjiani
- CUBE CSS - Piccalilli
- Creating a CSS-Only Horizontal Ticker - Ryan Gittings
- The tempertemper newsletter
- Switching from Gmail to Fastmail / Dwayne.xyz
- Fixing Lists - scottohara.me
- CSS Grid - Dan Davies
- Are You Excluding Your Client? It's Time to Stop!
- Running a trust-based business
- The future is bright, because the future is static | CSS-Tricks
- With a Net Worth of $950 Million, Why Does Jerry Seinfeld Still Work So Hard? His Response Is a Master Class in Achieving Incredible Success
- Developer health - taking care of yourself as you code
- How To Have Clients Find You (Rather Than You Chasing Them)
- I sold Baremetrics - Baremetrics
- What is package.json?
- CSS Variables
- My Social Dilemma - Paul Jardine Web Design
- Get Started with Tailwind CSS in 15 Minutes
- Building The Perfect Testimonial | Jonathan Stark
- Preload late-discovered Hero images faster
- What are design tokens? - Piccalilli
- How I plan my day
- Static sites, slack and scrollytelling. | Clearleft
- Burnout - a long recovery - Andy Bell
- Indicating focus to improve accessibility – Mozilla Hacks
- Street Fighter Alpha: An oral history
- Easily Use Design Tokens In Eleventy: HeydonWorks
- Avoiding tab styles for navigation by Adam Silver
- Accessible, Smooth Scroll-to-top Buttons with Little Code